July 2010

macys-6th-ave-14th-street-650x502-MCPYyv.jpg

The Ghosts of Macy’s on 14th Street

Macy’s wasn’t always on Herald Square. Starting in 1858, it was downtown, on 14th Street. It began as a dry goods store on Sixth Avenue between 13th and 14th Streets, way north of the city’s normal dry goods district down in present-day SoHo. Here, many modern shopping concepts were born. R.H. Macy, the owner, set… Read more »